The Health and Physical Education Council is a specialist council of the Alberta Teachers Association.
Alberta teachers will provide quality instruction and programs in health and physical education to promote the development of healthy active lifestyles in students.
The Health and Physical Education Council, as a professional organization of teachers, advocates for quality health and physical education programs and provides opportunities for professional growth and development of its members. HPEC is committed to providing leadership in creating healthy active school communities.
Objectives of the Council
- To improve curriculum, instruction, and assessment in Health and Physical Education through increased knowledge, skills, and understanding.
- To develop, study, and propose professional resources and response to Health and Physical Education issues.
- To ensure teachers have access to meaningful professional development opportunities that meet their needs throughout all stages of their career
- To enhance the expertise of members by promoting an understanding of current research to inform professional practices
- To liaise with other organizations that seek to promote healthy active lifestyles within school communities
- To provide opportunities for teachers to improve professional practice
- To further the continuous development and evaluation of standards and guidelines within the profession for personnel, programs, and facilities in health and physical education.
- To facilitate broad-based, skillful participation in the planning and implementation of effective, collaborative, ongoing professional development
HPEC is committed to providing leadership in creating healthy active school communities:
- Well delivered health and physical education curricula supported by quality instruction can change health behaviors of children and youth K–12.
- Health and physical education play a valued and vital role in providing a quality, balanced education for all children and youth in Alberta schools.
- Students in all grades in Alberta schools – should have the right and opportunity to experience sustained, vigorous physical activity through participation in quality daily physical education programs.