The Health and Physical Education Council is a specialist council of the Alberta Teachers Association.
The Purpose of the council is:
- To improve curriculum and instruction in Health and Physical Education through increased knowledge and understanding.
- To develop, study, and propose professional resources and response to Health and Physical Education issues.
- To provide opportunities for teachers to improve professional practice.
- To promote the importance of health and physical education programs within the school community.
- To liaise with other organizations that seek to promote healthy active lifestyles within school communities.
- To further the continuous development and evaluation of standards and guidelines within the profession for personnel, programs and facilities in health and physical education.
HPEC is committed to providing leadership in creating healthy active school communities:
- Well delivered health and physical education curricula supported by quality instruction can change health behaviours of children and youth K–12.
- Health and physical education play a valued and vital role in providing a quality, balanced education for all children and youth in Alberta schools.
- Students in all grades in Alberta schools – should have the right and opportunity to experience sustained, vigorous physical activity through participation in quality daily physical education programs.
Vision & Mission
Alberta teachers will provide quality instruction and programs in health and physical education to promote the development of healthy active lifestyles in students.